Retrieved 25 December History Today Ltd.
Retrieved 21 January The Guardian , London. Retrieved 10 August What Were the Crusades? Palgrave Macmillan.
Daily Telegraph , London. Retrieved 15 September The Gazette.
The Idea of Crusading in the Charters of Early Crusaders, - Persée
BBC News. Retrieved 4 June Cambridge University. Retrieved 14 September History at Cambridge. Faculty of History, Cambridge.
Jonathan Riley-Smith on the Motivations of the First Crusaders
Issue 9: Namespaces Article Talk. It was this interpretation that was adopted by subsequent popes. The First Crusaders, meticulously tracked down every identifiable participant, and sought to reconstruct his likely motives. The Feudal Nobility and the Kingdom of Jerusalem, ; 2nd edition showed how the system of western feudal law was imported into the newly established kingdom of Jerusalem by the settler nobility.
There were many more books on the same and similar themes, which tapped into the wider public interest that Riley-Smith had been a leading light in promoting.
- Models of Capitalism in the European Union: Post-crisis Perspectives.
- Water Ski (Winter 2006).
- An Evolution of Love.
- , Morton, Encountering Islam on the First Crusade | The Medieval Review.
- Advertising and Consumer Citizenship: Gender, Images and Rights.
- Reference Manual on Scientific Evidence: Third Edition!
- High-Resolution Continuum Source AAS: The Better Way to Do Atomic Absorption Spectrometry!
This August he launched a massive internet calendar of the charters and other legal documents of the Latin East. A founder member, and later president, of the Society for the History of the Crusades and the Latin East, he became familiar on television and radio. From being professor of history at Royal Holloway, University of London he returned to Cambridge as professor of ecclesiastical history, at Emmanuel College As an undergraduate, he spent a lot of time at the racecourse at Newmarket, but less conventionally acquired for himself a copy of the massive 19th-century French edition of the crusading chroniclers.
He had found his vocation. After graduating in , he embarked on research.
The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading
Riley-Smith developed an approach that surpassed its mellifluous narrative, by focusing on what legitimated Crusades and motivated Crusaders. His first lecturing post was at the University of St Andrews As a companion, he was enthusiastic, forceful, funny, direct, sympathetic, perceptive, old-fashioned he was forever enveloped in a miasma of pipe smoke, and latterly snuff and courageous.
- You are here.
- Topics in Cryptology – CT-RSA 2017: The Cryptographers’ Track at the RSA Conference 2017, San Francisco, CA, USA, February 14–17, 2017, Proceedings?
- Reduced-Order Modelling for Flow Control;
- Whitehall: The Street that Shaped a Nation.
- The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading - by J. Riley-Smith.
- Emerson and Self-Culture (American Philosophy).
He evinced a boundless generosity of spirit. In he married Louise Field, a portrait painter.
She survives him, as do their children, Toby, Tammy and Polly.